|Martha Jane Becker's book, "Bramwell - The Diary of a Millionaire Coal Town", identifies the various churches that were located in the area of historic Bramwell. The following churches were identified: The Elizabeth Bowen Jones Memorial Methodist Church, The Cooper Methodist Church, The Mill Creek Missionary Baptist Church, The Church of the Holy Trinity (Episcopal), The Bluestone Baptist Church, The Bramwell Baptist Church and the Bramwell Presbyterian Church. Ms. Becker's book describes in some detail the founding of these churches and their individual rolls in the history of Bramwell and the surrounding community. This book is an excellent source of information on the founding of these historic church landmarks in Bramwell and the surrounding area . Just a sample of the book's contents is highlighted here.|
BRAMWELL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Historic Bramwell Presbyterian Church - Constructed 1904
Becker's book reveals that in 1890 the Prebysterians of
Bramwell petitioned Montgomery Presbytery to organize the
Bramwell Presbyterian Church. Thus, on Sunday November
16, 1890 at a church conference in Staunton Virginia the
organization of the Bramwell Presbyterian Church
occurred. In 1904 the present church structure was
constructed in the Town of Bramwell. Mr. Issac T. Mann,
who was president of the Historic Bramwell Bank when the
stock market crashed gave the church congregration the
new church building as it remained until 1949 when a new
addition was completed. The first service was held in the
new church on November 6, 1904. This beautiful church
remains an active modern day church.
The 1904 Bramwell Presbyterian Church is still active among 10 churches that once served the town. Isaac T. Mann donated the church that he had patterned after a small Welsh cathedral. The local bluestone used in the church was cut and laid by early Italian masons.
THE ELIAZBETH BOWEN JONES MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH
The Methodist Church of Bramwell was organized on December 6,1886. Rev. C.R. Bowen and Rev. E.A. Tilley were responsible for this organization. The first Methodist church building was a house in Bramwell and is still standing. It has also been used by the local Baptist Congregation as their church building. In the early 1900's there became a need for a more adequate building for the expanding congregation. On April 1, 1905, ground was broken for a new building at a cost of $40,000 on what is known as Bluestone Avenue. On June 6, 1906 the congregation moved into the new building . This historic and beautiful church still serves the present day Bramwell community. The previous Bramwell Methodist Church was located on River Road in Simmons, West Virginia and is still standing. It is was sold in 1906 to the Missionary Baptist Church of Bramwell and is presently known as the Riverside Baptist Church. It stands next to the Historic Freemen Cemetery. A 1908 photograph of the Bramwell Methodist Church as it appeared on a post card.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF BRAMWELL
|The first service of the Bramwell Church of Holy Trinity (Episcopal Church) was held as an open air service in 1886 near where the railroad station once stood and is presently being reconstructed. The cornerstone for the church building was laid on September 25, 1892 and the building completed for the first service to be held on October 15, 1883. The church operated for many years until the 1955 - 1956 period when it was dissolved, combining it with Christ Church. On January 22, 1957 the church was placed in the category of "an unused church." The church was sold in to the Church of God in April 1962 and was resold to Mr. Bruckner in November 1967. Mr. Bruckner wanted the building to start a church called the Bramwell Mission. The church is located at the south end of town and is near the Freeman House and bend in the Bluestone River.|
COOPER METHODIST CHURCH
( PICTURE PENDING )
The Cooper Methodist Church is said to be the first Methodist Church formed in what has become to be known as Southern West Virginia Coal fields. The first religious service was held outside in Coopers, West Virginia in 1884. The initial church was housed in an old store building building This building was occupied until 1916 when a more modern church was built to replace the orignal store building. Mrs. John Cooper, wife of John Cooper, a Bramwell coal Baron, was the person most instrumental in founding of the Cooper Community Church that evolved into the Cooper Methodist Church. The presently named Cooper United Methodist Church has always remained small , having only 188 members in the church's hayday. It has remained an outstanding community church.