Historic James Ellwood Jones House
This magnificant James Ellwood Jones historic house is located at Switchback, McDowell County, West Virginia. This circa 1890's mansion was designed and built for coal baron James Ellwood Jones, son of coal baron Jenkin Jones. It is a two story, frame dwelling with an irregular plan. This palatial estate features over 20 rooms. It is located on a very private and serene mountaintop on Powerhouse Hill Road. It features a classically detailed, pedimented porch, and stained glass windows. On the property are a contributing swimming pool dated to the 1920s, a detached covered patio, a circular fountain, terraced garden, and greenhouse. The trees that he imported from Europe are still flourishing and the fish in the pond are still swimming.
James Ellwood Jones (1874-1932) was born in Trevertown, Pennsylvania. He was the general manager of the Pocahontas Fuel Company which was founded by his father, Jenkin B. Jones, the namesake for the coal town of Jenkinjones, West Virginia
James Ellwood Jones, was an influential leader in southern West Virginia's coal mining industry. His house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
With the designation of this property as a National Historical Site, Colonel James Ellwood Jones's mansion continues to welcome guests and shines as a beacon of times past when "coal was king."This histroic mansion of a coal baron can be viewd at ME AND MR. JONES B&B under "photos". This house is now a magnificant Bed and Breakfast is located in Switchback, WV on RT. 52 near the Town of Bramwell. This is a southern premier Bed and Breakfast and ATV host.
The historic Jones Mansion, located between Switchback and Maybeury in McDowell County, is featured in the new issue of GOLDENSEAL magazine. The article, titled "Jones Mansion: The Checkered History of a McDowell County Landmark," is written by Jean Battlo and details the house's colorful past, from its construction 100 years ago by a prominent coal family to its connection to tragedy and intrigue in the 1990s, to its planned future as a bed-and-breakfast inn. Built at the turn of the 20th century by coal baron James Elwood AColonel@ Jones, the structure embodied the opulence of the early 1900s, according to the article. After he died in 1932, the mansion became the property of Pocahontas Fuel Company and entered a period of shifting occupancy. It was purchased in 1954 by the Henderson family for the bargain price of $15,000 and remained in that family for more than 40 years. The house became the site of tragedy in 1998, when three members of the Henderson family were shot dead in the house. The mansion was then sold at auction to Billie J. Cherry, president of the First National Bank of Keystone. Wealthy and prominent, Cherry undertook renovations to the mansion. The restored grandeur, however, proved short-lived when the bank at Keystone was seized by federal authorities and Cherry's financial empire crumbled in 1999. The house was again up for sale, this time purchased by Judy Henderson McDaniel, whose parents had purchased the house in 1954 and who herself grew up there. McDaniel intends to convert the house into a bed-and-breakfast inn, restoring its look and furnishings to recall the glorious era of Colonel Jones, the house's first owner.
|NEWS||MASTER INDEX||BHS CLASS INDEX||PIONEERS|