Graphic Intense - Allow Extra Download Time!
SHRADER SCHOOL - CLIFF YARDS, WV
The photograph is of the Shrader Elementary School Class from approximately 1926. The school was located in Shrader Hollow at Cliff Yards, WV. The Shrader family owned the school building and the property and sold both to the county for $1.00. Harry Yost was the carpenter for the school when it was built. The Shrader School even had indoor plumbing.
The school had lots of social events, including pie suppers, ice cream suppers, plays, and special events for all of the holidays. Jim Shrader's mother furnished free, fresh milk from their milk cow to make hot chocolate for the kids at school. Other neighbors furnished food and goodies, so the kids really had a rather good thing going.
The school was closed in 1933 and the building was torn down in the early 1940s and the Board of Education sold the land. Two of the Shrader boys are featured in this photograph.
Material furnished by Ken Bowen, Bluewell, WV. Detailed information on school was furnished by Jim Shrader, BHS Class '54.
RETURN TO GOODWILL INDEX FILE
SOUTHERN WV SCHOOL INDEX