Historic Bluestone High School
This picture of Bluestone High School was made in the late 1960s when the building was being used as a part of the Bramwell Elementary School program. At that time the building held two classes each of the first, second and third grades. Also, there was a kindergarden and a special education class in the building. Notice that the road in front of the building for the loading and unloading of the school busses had been added . This school building that was built in 1948 served during the late 1940s and 1950s as the Elementary School and High School for African Americans. This part of the building's history ended in the mid 1960s when the school was combined with the Bramwell High School. The school building is now undergoing restoration under the direction a formal Restoration Committee. This committee is chaired by Mr. Steve Orey. Sources report that the building has been cleaned out and now the windows will be covered with wafer board to prevent further damage to the building's interior. The building's roof is presently undergoing repairs.
Prior to construction ot this brick building in the late 1940s the original two story wooden Bluestone High School stood on the east side of Bluestone Baptist Church that can be seen in the background of the photograph. Dr. John E. Edley was a graduate of this original school in 1943. As a well known Bluestone High School graduate and School Principal, Dr. Edley lends his support to the school restoration project.
Bluefield State College will do the preliminary plans for restoration of the building while Mr. Sylvester Myers will do the cost estimating and plans for same.
Bluestone High School Restoration Committee Officers :
Steve Orey ...... Chairman
Sylvester Myers ...... Co-Chairman
Kate C. Cardwell ...... Secretary
Harold Wells ...... Treasurer
Carol Clark ...... Financial Secretary