BUCKEYE COAL TIPPLE - 1937
|This photograph of
The Buckeye Coal Tipple was taken July 8, 1937. It is the
second of two Tipples owned the Buckeye Coal and Coke Co.
The first tipple was located in at the head of Buckeye
Hollow just north of the town of Freeman, WV. Buckeye
Coal and Coke Company, located at Freeman on Simmons
Creek near Bramwell, WV, opened in 1886. This was three
years after the first coal was shipped from the historic
Pocahontas, VA coalfield. The Buckeye Coal and Coke
Company was founded by the Hewitt family who came to
Bramwell in 1885 from Torborough, Pennsylvania. The
company had leases on 900 acres of land and operated two
mines and 100 coke ovens with 200 employees in the early
1900s. Three years after opening there were 117 people
working for Buckeye. Payroll records from that time show
that miners received $1.05 for loading a coal car that
held 2 1/2 tons. Timbers for use in the mines in those
days sold for a cent a piece. Kirk Asbury's father is
known to have cut timbers at this price. Many of us will
Asbury who lived beside
the Elizabeth Bowen Methodist Church and was 98 years old
at her death in the 1980s.
The families that lived in the nine houses that were located in the immediate vicinity of the Buckeye Tipple are superimposed here in the general location of the houses for the 1920s and 1930s period. Four additional houses were located 1/4 mile up the tracks . The Cambell Family and the Buster Bailey family occupied two of those houses. The Office of the Buckeye Tipple Manager is also depicted in the photograph where it originally was located. John Henry Richmon (Goldie Richmon's father) was the boss over the Buckeye Tipple crew while Mr. Richard Foster was the boss over the Buckeye Mine crew. In the far right of the tipple photo one can see a "Smoke House" that was used by the Murray family for curing meat. It was located beside the Murray House. Bill and Ella Patterson lived in the Patterson house. Bill was killed in a mining accident. After Bill's death Ella married Gaylord Petty and they lived in the same house. The W.H. Petty family bought one of these Buckeye Company Houses in 1937, dismantled it and used much of the old lumber to build another house on Pinnacle Mountain. That house still stands.
The well known Dr. - Homer Luttrell, M.D. worked for this coal company and delivered many of the coal miners children that lived in this coal camp, and along the Simmons Creek plus in the town of Bramwell. The Buckeye Coal Tipple was managed in the 1930s by Mr. Rickman, a well know and respected citizen of Bramwell. Although the tipple and coal camp are only memories now for many Bramwell and Freeman residents, they had a profound affect on many of their ancestors lives during the late 1800s and for the first fifty years of the 20th century.
Buckeye Mine Foreman Alex Bailey
|Alex Bailey (Mar. 7, 1874 - Sept. 6,1939) was the night shift mine foreman for the mines located near the above Buckeye Tipple. His two sons are featured on the "Porter Mine Locomotive" shown below. Mr. Bailey lived on Sinai Mountain just above Goodwill, WV. He was well known in the Town of Bramwell and throughout the local coal fields. He kept his money in the Historic Bramwell Bank and refused to withdraw it during the Bank's decline foreclosure. He was a very respected community leader and was know for his lending of money to anyone who approached him. It is said that he owned the first car on Sinai Mountain. His death came at the mine " Sand House" on the morning of 6 September 1939; almost immeditely after finishing his night shift foreman duties at the Buckeye Mines. Alex Bailey and wife Lucinda Bailey ( May12, 1873 - June 21, 1949 ) are buried in Bailey Cemetery on Sinai Mountain near Goodwill, West Virginia. The home place ( Bailey House ) of Alex and Cindy Bailey is featured on this site. More information on ALEX BAILY & FAMILY.|
Porter Mine Locomotive
Mine Locomotive (shown here in 1937) was unique to the
Buckeye Mine operations. This locomotive is being driven
by a son of Alex Bailey; Cletus Bailey ( 1902 - 1949 )
with his brother Raymond (May 28, 1909 - 1986) riding on the front of the
engine. Steam Loco in use 51 yrs. As late as 1937 this
locomotive was used in and out of Mine No. 1 of Buckeye
Coal & Coke Co; 7-8-37. The Buckeye operation opened
in 1886, only three years after the first coal was
shipped from the Pocahontas field.
The first coal shipped from this Flat Top Coal fields that included the Buckeye mine was in June, 1883, and, as shown by the statistics, the whole output of coal for the first year, 1883, was 55,522 tons, and of coke 23,762 tons. A large number of collieries have been opened and are in operation in Mercer County, and there are a number of others opening up in the Widemouth Valley. The following are among the collieries in the County of Mercer:
Caswell Creek Coal & Coke Co.
This auger was used in the early 1930s by William"Bill" Petty to assist in mining coal in the Buckeye Hollow coal mine of the Buckeye Coal Company mine near the Buckeye Tipple No. 2. The garden hoe pictured belonged to William Petty.
BUCKEYE MINES MINING TOOLS
ANOTHER VIEW OF BUCKEYE TIPPLE
VIEW OF TYPICAL SOUTHERN WV COAL MINING COMMUNITY
McDOWELL 1896 DIRECTORY OF COAL COMPANIES
MAP FOR THE LOCATION OF BUCKEYE TIPPLE AND MINES
VIEW NO. 1 BUCKEYE TIPPLE
VIEW BOOTH BOWEN COAL TIPPLE NEAR FREEMAN, WV
RECENT VIEW OF BUCKEY HOLOW WHERE BUCKEYE TIPPLE WAS LOCATED
RETURN TO FREEMAN,WV
PHOTOS OF BUCKEYE MINES AND FREEMAN, WV, WV (ON A DIFFERENT SERVER)