HISTORICAL BRAMWELL CHURCHES
|(Introduction to churches is repeated here ) Martha Jane Becker's book, "Bramwell - The Diary of a Millianaire Coal Town", identifies the various churches that were located in the area of historic Bramwell. The following chrurches were identified: The Elizabeth Bowen Jones Memorial Methodist Church, The Cooper Methodist Church, The Mill Creek Missionary Baptist Church, The Church of the Holy Trinity (Episcopal), The Bluestone Baptist Church, The Bramwell Baptist Church and the Bramwell Presbyterian Church. Ms. Becker's book describes in some detail the founding of these churches and their individual rolls in the history of Bramwell and the surrounding community. This book is an excellent source of information on the founding of these historic church landmarks in Bramwell and the surrounding area . Just a sample of the book's contents is highlighted here.|
BRAMWELL BAPTIST CHURCH
|Bramwell's Riverside Baptist Church (formerly known as the Bluestone Baptist Church) in Freeman, WV. was founded in 1883. The services were initially held in the old Mission Chapel near the entrance to the road leading up Jones' hill. In 1906 the church was relocated to the previously owned Methodist Church Building beside the Freeman Cemetery. This church building has gone through several renovations over the years. The church is now know as the Riverside Baptist Church. The building has been completely renovated and is now a brick structure. The Freeman Cemetery is now called the Oak Hill Cemetery and remains beside the Riverside Baptist Church. The tombstone of John Freeman is shown in the photograph foreground.|
PILGRIM HOLINESS CHURCH ( WESLEYAN CHURCH OF BRAMWELL)
This historical church is located in the Town of Bramwell. The church building underwent major renovation work after receiving considerable storm damage years ago. It is reported that the church minister did a major part of the renovation work. The church is now known as the Wesleyan Church of Bramwell.
( Information is needed on the history of this church. )
BLUESTONE BAPTIST CHURCH
|This church is located along the Bluestone River on the old road between Bramwell and Freeman which is now called North River Street. The Bluestone High School building that was built in 1948 is located next this church.The Booth-Bowen Coal Company gave the land to the church on which the church building was constructed in 1890. Rev. R. H. McKoy served as pastor of this church from 1901 until the time of his death on February 1, 1950; having served the church faithfully for fifty years.|
This historic church (Emmanual Tabornacle) is located in Freeman. WV and very close to Rt. 52 as one travels North from Freeman.
HISTORIC BRAMWELL METHODIST CHURCH IN 1908
BACK TO FIRST PAGE OF CHURCHES
OAK HILL CEMETERY INDEX
TOWN OF BRAMWELL INDEX