BRAMWELL DEPOT RESTORATION 1996 GROUND BREAKING
Interpretive Center of Coal Heritage Trail, A National Historic
The Historic Bramwell Train Depot opened for business in Nov.
Pictured here is the groundbreaking ceremony for the new train depot 0n August 2, 1996.
From left to right, Roger Goins, Dodd Marteusan, Jack Lewis, Kathryn Barringer, Don Anello, then Mayor Glenn Scott, Johnny Painter, Basil Jackson, Cotton White, Norris Kantor, Congressman James Kee and James Collins.
NEW BRAMWELL DEPOT CONSTRUCTION
NEW BRAMWELL DEPOT-CHRISTMAS 2002 - 28 Dec. 02
ANOTHER VIEW OF NEW BRAMWELL DEPOT CONSTRUCTION PROJECT - 5 JUL 01
ANOTHER VIEW OF NEW BRAMWELL DEPOT CONSTRUCTION PROJECT - 11 OCT. 01
|The Historic Bramwell
Depot construction project is a part of the Heritage Park
that is being developed in Bramwell. The reconstructed
depot will be officially known as the Southern
Interpretive Center of the Coal Heritage Trail, a
National Historic Byway. The original train station was
demolished in the 1950s. It is being built by a federal
grant. Groundbreaking for rebuilding the depot was held
on August 2,1996. In addition to housing interpretive
exibits which will offer insight into the rich heritage
of the Poachontas Coalfields, the Depot will server as a
welcome center for tourist visiting the Home of the
Bramwell Millionaires. It should be ready for opening
sometime in 2001 and will be open seven days a week. The
mayor of Bramwell, Ken Beard says "the new station
will be so authentic that it will look like an extremely
The Federal Highway Administration has designated State Route 16 from Beckley (named for pioneer settler Alfred Beckley) to Welch (named for surveyor Captain I.A. Welch), and U.S. Route 52 from Welch to Bluefield (named by Hattie Hannah and Elizabeth Davidson for the abundant Mountain Chicory) as the Coal Heritage Trail. Bramwell Mayor Ken Beard has been chairman of the Coal Heritage Trail Association since its establishment in 1995. Bramwell, a Mercer County point on the train was named for J. H. Bramwell, an engineer from Staunton, Va., who accompanied Welch on his 1873 survey of the Pocahontas Coalfields. Bramwell later worked as general manager of the Crozier Coal and Coke Company.
To view photos of original Historic Bramwell and Simmons train depots around 1930 click on the (3) URL addresses below:
OLD BRAMWELL DEPOT ~ 1930
ANOTHER VIEW OF THE OLD BRAMWELL DEPOT ~ 1930
HISTORIC SIMMONS, WV DEPOT ~1930
(These photos will be retrieved from the VA Tech Archived Images Library. To return to this page click "BACK" on your computer tool bar menu.)
BRAMWELL'S HISTORIC RT. 52 BRIDGE
VIEW OF THE LAST TRAIN TO BRAMWELL