HISTORIC BRAMWELL PIONEER
KATHARINE REEDY HEWITT
Katharine Reedy Hewitt (1859-1938) was from Pennsylvania. She married Col. John D. Hewitt in 1876. There were six children born to this marriage: Frank, John D. Jr., Richard and Stevenson and two daughters: Maude and Florence. When the Hewitts first came to the Bramwell area they lived for a short time in the house of J.J. Jennings, later living over the Buckeye Store in Freeman, WV. The Hewitts lived over the store until they purchased the property on Bramwell's Main/Brick Street. There were two original houses on that property and that is where they raised their children. Following her husband's death in 1903 Mrs. Hewitt completed the Historic Hewitt House at the end of Bramwell's Brick Street. The house is often referred to as the Dr. J. C. Newbold House, who owned the house for many years later until his death in 1976.
The home was built to reflect Katherine’s, John’s wife’s love of cottages. She requested an “Anne Hathaway Cottage.” The property includes a guest house/carriage house and keeps up with the tradition of Bramwell luxury. The Hewitt House was the last mansion constructed by a coal baron.
After John Hewitt's death, Katherine managed the coal mine. This task for a woman was an unheard in that period.