Historical Houses of Bramwell, West Virginia
|These well-preserved Historic Bramwell homes remain beautiful with with the original ornate woodwork, leaded and stained-glass windows, slate, copper and tile roofs, indoor swimming pools, ballrooms, fancy parlors, wide porches, turrets and gables, guest houses, dumbwaiters and even central vacuum-cleaning systems.|
|This beautiful English Tudor "Thomas" House reflects typical architecture found in the Bramwell historical homes. This house sits on a knoll overlooking the town of Bramwell. In 1909 Colonel William H. Thomas and his wife Annie Cooper Thomas began construction on this grand house which remains a showplace today. It took three years to complete construction. Plaster on the living room ceiling and carved panels on the walls remain in mint condition. It was built with a central vacuum-cleaning system, dumbwaiter to the third floor ballroom and garage guest house with carriage-wash. They named the mansion "Bryn Avon"|
|This Historic Hewitt Hewitt House was owned by Dr. J.C. Newbold during the 1930-1970 time frame.||
The "Hewitt" House was completed in 1914 by the wife (Katharine Reedy Hewitt) of one of Bramwell's founders, Col. John D. Hewitt, Sr. (1847-1903). Col. Hewitt was the first mayor of Bramwell and was president of the Buckeye Coal and Coke Company. He was one of the true Coal Barons of southern West Virginia. This was the last coal-baron house built in Bramwell.
The Hewitt House was also the home of another Bramwell Pioneer DR. J.C. NEWBOLD (1883-1976).
PRESENT DAY HEWITT HOUSE
This magnificant "Edward Cooper" House (on the left) was built in 1910, while the beautiful "Isaac T. Mann" House (on the right) was remodeled from a earlier house in 1909. The Issac Mann three-story turreted Bramwell mansion displays a handsome staircase, ornate woodwork and special details such as a secret wall safe and a studded, leather-walled den. The curved porch follows the horseshoe curve of the Bluestone River it overlooks. Across the river by footbridge, Mann built a house-size "playhouse" for his children and their governess. The house today is a private residence. HISTORIC MANN HOUSE BUNGALOW PLUS MORE
The Cooper House has a copper roof, and its orange brick came specifically from England. An indoor swimming pool is contained in one of the orange brick buildings on the grounds. Both these historic houses remain in excellent condition.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC BRAMWELL PLACES
According to relialble present sources the H.V. McNeer
house (VIEW BRAMWELL'S HISTORIC MCNEER HOUSE) is the oldest home in Bramwell. He bought it
from the Bluestone Land Corp in 1889 for $1400.00, when
lots were only selling for $300.00. The McGuffin
home was not built in 1885 as previously reported. The
center lot was not accuired until November 1887 for
$300.00. It is doubted that the home was completed
until 1890. The written source is the mercer county court
these recently noted court records show that the Historic Dr. R. M.
McGuffin House was incorrectly reported to be the oldest
frame house in Bramwell. Some less reliable writings have
reported it to be the oldest house on Bramwell.s Main
Street. This house boasted the first indoor plumbing in
town and had a free standing shower. It even had a
windmill to help supply water, and there was a speaking
tube from the front door to the bedroom.