Freeman, West Virginia -Approx. Year: 1890 & 1916..
The above viewof colonial Freeman is from around 1890. The railroad bridge is a good reference point when comparing the picture with the 1901 picture of Freeman. Notice how much more visible the houses are on the Freeman side of the Bluestone River than they are in the 1915 Freeman picture. In the photograph background one can see the Jenkin & Martha Elwood Jones house on the upper left, the Wm. Henry and Harriett Hopkinson Bowen house in the center and the James Elwood house on the right. James Elwood was the brother of Martha Elwood Jones. The Simmons Freight Station is partially visible in the right of this photograph and is on the South side of the railroad tressel.
The below view of Freeman is from a 1916 post card. It gieves views of all three coal company stores in Freeman in 1916. They included the Buckeye Coal & Coke Company Store (Right), Booth Bowen Coal & Coke Company Store (Center) and the Caswell Creek Coak & Coke Compny Store (Left). The one room butcher shop is in the midddle of the picture. Jones' Hill is in the photogtraph background. Oscar "Beef" Bennett, chief of police, had his office in the west end of the "Coon" Freight Station that visible on the Freeman side, (north) of the Bluestone River. Simmons Creek runs from the North along the right side of the butcher shop building. It empties into the Bluestone River at the railroad tressel.
This photograph gives a better view of the railroad tressle, "Coon" Freight Station and the Caswell Coal &Coke Company Store in Freeman, WV in 1916.
(Photograph from John Thomas Burke's book cover, "WASH-TUBS and CHIN-QUA-PINS")
VIEW COLONIAL FREEMAN - 1918
RETURN TO COLONIAL FREEMAN - 1915
VISIT HISTORIC BUCKEYE TIPPLE
TOWN OF BRAMWELL INDEX