HISTORY FACTS - 23 DEC. 2010
SHORT FILM ON HISTORIC BRAMWELL
HISTORIC BRAMWELL BANK GETS A NEW LIFE
HISTORIC BRAMWELL EDITOR'S MEMORABLE STORY
In 2009 the bridge at the end of Main Street (where the brick ends, too) was named the Kate Hewitt bridge.
In 2008 the Swinging Bridge to Coopers was named for the famous african american poet, Anne Spencer who lived in Bramwell for sometime during her childhood.
In March 2010 the "Blue" Bridge on the East end of the Town of Bramwell will be will be dedicated in memory and honor of the Bramwell pioneeer Yon and Peraldo families.
& FOUND: -- A 1958 Bramwell
High School Class Ring with initials R.M was
found in Belle Haven, VA in 1964. A miracle as happened
and the ring has been returned to the BHS graduate that
once wore it.
is a serious effort underway to extend the Coal Heritage
Tour Train into Fayette County. The President of the Coal
Heritage Board, Ken Beard is reported to be spearheading
this effort. VIEW OF
THE LAST TRAIN TO BRAMWELL
The Editor: A
"THANK YOU" MESSAGE
and Facts: Bramwell's population is
620......Approximate number of families is 299......1,552
sq. kilometers of land area.
Known Facts: At one time in this
century Historic Bramwell had more millionaires per
capita than any other town in the United States .
Additionally, the Bank of Bramwell was the richest bank per
capita in the United States.
Bramwell once had a Baseball Team . SEE
BRAMWELL'S 1907 BASEBALL TEAM.
you know that Dwight W. McCormick attended Alderson
Baptist Academy on a baseball scholorship? He earned a
M.A. in School Administration from Duke University in
STORY OF DWIGHT W. MCCORMICK )
BRAMWELL'S OLDEST HOUSE: According to
relialble present sources the Dr. H.V. McNeer
house is the oldest home in Bramwell. He
bought it from the Bluestone Land Corp in 1889
for $1400.00, when lots were only selling for
$300.00. The McGuffin home was not built in
1885 as previously reported. The center lot was
not acquired until November 1887 for
$300.00. It is doubted that the home was
completed until 1890. The written source is the
Mercer county court records. Thus, these
recently noted court records show that the Historic Dr.
R. M. McGuffin House was incorrectly reported to
be the oldest frame house in Bramwell. Some less
reliable writings have reported it to be the
oldest house on Bramwell.s Main Street. This
house boasted the first indoor plumbing in town
and had a free standing shower. It even had a
windmill to help supply water, and there was a
speaking tube from the front door to the bedroom.
McNeer is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery. He was in
his 50s when he died. He died not long after
1900. On January 30, 1899 he sold the house to
his daughter, Nannie for $1.00. She sold it to
Dr. Tanner on July 3, 1920. Dr. Tanner sold it to
Dr. Little on Nov 15, 1924. Dr. Little sold it to
my William Joe Miller's Grandmother Bess on March
9, 1946. (Information from
Joe Miller of Bramwell. Joe now lives in the
Historic McNeer House.)
McNeer was born in 1863 and attended public
schools in that county and obtained higher
education at Lebanon, Ohio Normal School. He was
a graduate of the University of Virginia Medical
School. He enrolled for additional study at
Bellevue Medical College in New York, graduating
with such distinction that he was retained by the
faculty as one of the staff for the next two
years. He became associated with Dr. McGuffin in
the Flat-Top Field in 1887. Dr. McNeer was
married in 1892 to N. M. Garver. (Information
extracted from Martha Jane Williams Becker's
Book..."Bramwell, The Diary of s Millionaire
research also verifies that Dr. H. V. McNeer's
wife was Nannie M. Garver McNeer (1867 - 1929).
She is burried in the Green Hills Cemetery,
Stephens City, Frederick County, VA. This
information is from the Virginia Cemetery Project
that features a photograph of Mrs.
The first telephone line in Mercer
County, WV was established in 1886 between Bramwell and
Ingleside, a distance of 23 miles.
You Know: It has been reported that the
Bramwell's bridge across the Bluestone River leading to
Cooper, WV will soon be dedicated as the Dwight W.
McCormick Memorial Bridge. (
VIEW BRIDGE ) The new bridge across the Bluestone
River in Freeman is being dedicated to Bramwell's pioneer
coal baron John Freeman. ( VIEW
FREEMAN MEMORIAL BRIDGE )
Bramwell now has established a hiking trail from Bramwell
to Pinnacle Rock via Reservoir Hollow. Many of us
remember that trail from our youth days as just a path we
traveled to pick blackberrys and gather black walnuts.
Recently Bramwell's Jim Bishop took folks on a hike of
this trail. Those thousands of pine tree in Reservior
Hollow were planted some 50 years ago by Bramwell High
School students. The Reservoir is featured on this site. (
HISTORIC BRAMWELL'S RESERVOIR )
HISTORIC BRAMWELL'S PIONEER FAMILIES ..........
HISTORIC BRAMWELL - 1909......
BRAMWELL HOUSE TREAT
Martha Jane Becker and her late husband (William
Pritchard Becker) books written about Bramwell, the
people of Bramwell and West Virginia.
HIGH SCHOOL MEMORIES
Send Comments to the
- TOWN OF BRAMWELL ....... BRAMWELL
TOWN COUNCIL MEMBERS.